Iridian Spectral Technologies is a High Tech company in Ottawa that is a world-leading supplier of optical thin film filters used in telecommunications, spectroscopic instrumentation, satellites, astronomy and 3D cinema. The company has been in existence for 17 years and has a staff of around 130 people. Here every employee can make a difference to the company’s success.
The company currently has a vacancy in its group of Applications Engineers. The focus of the position is on the design, manufacture and performance of thin film optical filters.
Job Duties include:
- Designing complex thin film filters to meet customer specifications using the company’s proprietary software tools with a focus on manufacturability
- Following up on the outcome of the designs in manufacturing and determining the improvements that are necessary in either design or processes
- Collaborating with Sales Engineers on the evaluation of requests for custom products
- Carrying out R&D on design of new filter types or new design approaches
- Working with the technical personnel of key customers on design trade-offs and understanding product applications
- After gaining experience, providing technical support at selected Trade Shows or customer site visits
- The company’s manufacturing operations continue 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and for these positions some weekend and evening work will be required
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree in physics or engineering, including the ability to understand the optical properties of thin films, the physical basis for their specification and the processes involved in manufacture
- Experience in the field of optics or thin film deposition would be an asset.
- Strong analytical ability and technical judgment
- Good computer skills and strong competency with Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
- The ability to prioritize tasks in a busy work environment, be customer-focused and detail oriented
- Excellent teamwork capability
Please send your application and a resume and, if possible, transcripts via e-mail to Kate Ferguson (kate.fergu[email protected]). The starting date is flexible (April, May 2016)